I will be honest from the get go. Big fan of ErgoGenix ErgoSHRED, and in fact, big fan of their other products I had tried to date.
The tub seemed surprisingly tiny. But big things come in small packages. And it certainly packed a mighty punch.
ErgoSHRED is a thermogenic fat burner but it also fits neatly under the category of pre workouts. I loved it for both reasons.
ErgoGenix says that ErgoSHRED can offer increased fat loss, increased metabolism, support appetite control and preserve muscle.
It was flavoured in Pineapple Mango. Tropical holidays with sand, surf and sunshine. It was sweet and upbeat, juicy and refreshing. I loved the flavour when made with ample water, but did occasionally notice a couple of bitter granules at the bottom that escaped dissolution.
There were quite a few ingredients, majority of which were bundled together under the label ErgoSHRED Matrix. How very sci-fi. The ErgoSHRED Matrix included:
- Choline bitartrate – often used for boosting cognition (also found in Bulk Nutrients Cognitone), and may assist cardiovascular function and liver health
- Caffeine anhydrous – essentially dehydrated caffeine. Caffeine is a powerful stimulant and can also assist with fat burning, particularly in infrequent users
- l-leucine – the amino acid well known for its role in muscle protein synthesis
- 2-aminoisoheptane – a stimulant which is also known as DMHA or Octodrine and is said to boost energy levels, suppress appetite and expand airways in the lungs
- Dandelion extract – a diuretic and good source of potassium, but not a lot of human studies on its effects as of yet
- l-isoleucine – a branched chain amino acid, which assists with muscle protein synthesis and can increase the uptake and usage of glucose during exercise
- l-valine – another branched chain amino acid, similar to l-leucine and l-isoleucine
- dicaffeine malate (Infinergy) – more caffeine, this time two caffeine molecules attached to a malic acid molecule, which may prevent stomach upset
- Chinese Hawthorn Extract – which may reduce the absorption of lipids (fat) in the intestines, improve heart health and have anti-allergic effects
- Synephrine Hcl – also found in bitter orange fruit, it may increase basal metabolic rate and the thermic effect of food resulting in fat loss. It can also work synergistically with caffeine
- Paradoxine Grains of Paradise Extract – a spice similar to ginger, which may increase a person’s metabolic rate and testosterone levels, and may have anti-estrogenic properties
- Theacrine (as Tea-Crine) – a stimulant that works similarly to caffeine, but may show less tolerance
ErgoGenix ErgoSHRED also contains a decent serve of vitamin b3 (also known as niacin, which helps the body metabolize food into energy – particularly carbohydrates into glucose – and can decreases the production of cholesterol and triglycerides in the liver) and vitamin B6 (also helps the body metabolize food into energy, and plays an important role in the nervous system and regulating hormones), along with the minerals and electrolytes calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium (beneficial for muscle contractions and transmission of nerve signals).
It has a mega dose of caffeine per serve – 300mg to be precise. I found I handled it better with some food in my belly. I felt alert and switched on, but didn’t get crazy sweats unlike some fat burners (which I appreciated!). It’s perfect for a long session – and I recommend a long or intense session to take advantage of those energising ingredients.
ErgoGenix ErgoSHRED rates highly not only as a pre workout, but also because of the other potentially thermogenic and beneficial ingredients.
Find it here.